[HOW TO] - 197 Sportfish Aerator Pump Replacement

Anything technical: motors, props, drives, glass repair, gizmos, and gadgets, etc...
thecoastisclear

The last time I had my boat out last year, I had two issues that I noticed with the boat. My livewell aerator pump wasn't working, and the raw-water hose pump was leaking into the bilge (only when the hose was on). In preparation for my 2017 maiden voyage, I decided to tackle these items.

Livewell Aerator Pump
Honestly the worst part about working on my boat is the limited access to the bilge area, and the stainless steel rail that you have to lean over to get into the bilge. Neither are fun, but luckily nothing is buried so much in the bilge that I can't get to it.

To be sure the pump was bad, the first thing I did was use my multimeter to make sure there was power going to the pump when the Aerator button on the instrument panel was in the "On" position. It read 12~ volts - so I knew the problem was in the pump.

The first thing I did was cut the wires to the aerator pump, and then I used a flat-head to unscrew the hose-clamp and disconnect the hose connecting the aerator to the livewell. This was trivial. The pump itself was screwed into the thru-hull fitting where a seacock valve can be turned on or off to prevent water from coming in in case of an issue. The pump also had marine sealant on the threads, and a lock-nut where it was screwed in. I backed off the lock-nut and was able to unscrew the pump and remove it.

Picture of valve after it was removed (yes, my bilge is filthy - it needs a good cleaning!!!):
aerator-thru-hull.jpg

Here's what it looked like after it was removed:
IMG_20170614_192946711.jpg

Here's what the new one looked like. It has a removable cartridge, so that in the event this one goes bad, all you have to do is remove the cartridge, cut the wires, and replace. You don't have to mess with hoses or the thru-hull connection.
new-aerator.jpg

I don't know if this was necessary or not, but the aerator that was installed previously had the threads cut down. You may notice I cut the threads down by about 1.5" to make it not stick up so high in the bilge. Just be careful not to mess up the threads and try to cut straight using a hack/jig saw. I then cleaned up the thread-end with a pocket-knife to make sure it would thread on properly into the thru-hall fitting.

I used 3m 4200 marine sealant on the threads of the new pump and threaded it into the fitting in the bilge. I supposed I could have used 3m 5200, but I was a little worried about how "permanent" it would end up being. Hopefully I never have to remove it again anyway. I tightened the lock-nut down against the thru-hall fitting and where my sealant was built up.

The new aerator had a screw-on connector where the hose to the livewell connected. I had to close the seacock handle in order to thread it on (probably should have done this outside the bilge). I got that on, then connected the hose to the livewell and tightened down the hose-clamp.

Last thing to take care of was wiring. I used water-proof butt connectors to connect the wires. Here's a (blurry) pic of what they looked like after using a heat gun to shrink it onto the wire and create good protection from the elements in the bilge.
buttconnector.jpg

I then wrapped each butt connector separately in electrical tape, and then bundled them together and wrapped again in electrical tape.

To tidy it up as best as I could, I zip-tied them to the larger hose that is down in the bilge area. I didn't want the wires dangling in an area where they may get wet, and I wanted them to be snug, not moving around on any of those rough days.

Here's what the final wiring looked like. Not the cleanest ever, and I'm sure I could do better, but everything stays snug and I am confident that it's nice and waterproofed:
bilge.jpg

If I missed anything or anyone has any tips to add, I'd love to hear 'em. Overall this wasn't a bad job. Probably only took an hour or so from start to finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crackedconch

Thanks for the information! I'm getting ready to install stereo with speakers, so when I do, I'll make sure to get some pictures and put them on here along with my experience. I recently installed a Garmin 74dv gps/fish finder, but for got to take pictures. I might be able to put something together.

Mike

Ps- I see you changed your screen name. It threw me off. I got excited thinking we had a new member...lol
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!"

2016 197SF
2016 Suzuki DF150
thecoastisclear

crackedconch wrote:
June 16th, 2017, 6:26 pm
Thanks for the information! I'm getting ready to install stereo with speakers, so when I do, I'll make sure to get some pictures and put them on here along with my experience. I recently installed a Garmin 74dv gps/fish finder, but for got to take pictures. I might be able to put something together.

Mike

Ps- I see you changed your screen name. It threw me off. I got excited thinking we had a new member...lol
I wish I would have done that for my speaker install. What speakers did you get? I used all Fusion components and it sounds great. I have the Garmin 74sv - those are great little units. I love mine!
crackedconch

I was looking at the Fusion system and couldn't decide, so my wife got me a Boss system for my birthday/Father's day. It was the stereo and 4 speaker package. So I'm going to install it this weekend. I'll post pictures of the install. I was trying to decide if I want the speakers in the forward side of my radio box or in the sidewalls where the dealer installs them. I kinda like the radio box idea better.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!"

2016 197SF
2016 Suzuki DF150